Certification and Education
- American Society of Appraisers â€“ Certified as an Accredited Senior Appraiser continuously since May 1970
Re-certified in Personal Property/Wines â€“ Fine and Rare, January 2002. Re-accredited every five years
- Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) compliant through February 2020
- Attendance at dozens of seminars over the years devoted to appraisal in general, wine subjects at the Society of Wine Educators conferences, Wine Spectator Grand Tastings, industry-sponsored events and others
- Dartmouth College â€“ B. A.
- Instant access to over 2,000,000 wine auction selling prices
- 520-volume personal wine reference library
- Files of most English language wine periodicals
- Subscriptions to all major wine auction catalogs worldwide
Articles and Publications
- Editor-Publisher Wine Price File in 18 editions from 1998-2004; contained hundreds of thousands of retail and auction prices for wine
- Co-editor International Wine Guide published in 1991 by Sony Electronic Publishing Company
- Editor-Publisher Wine Investorsâ€™ Monthly Market Report 1993-1999; wine auction prices on computer disk
- Editor-Publisher www.wineauctionprices.com 2005 to present; contains 600,000 wine auction prices
- Authored article entitled Taking On the Fakes: Advice From The Anti-fraud Frontline in World of Fine Wine, Britainâ€™s finest wine periodical, Issue 37, 2012
- Recently featured and quoted in articles in New York Times and Wall Street Journal
- Wine columnist weekly for The Advocate newspaper, Stamford, CT for 2 years, 1980s
- Author of four non-fiction books and one wine-related work of fiction entitled Wine Killer
Speeches, Seminars, Events
- IVYFON Family Office Network conference speaker, 2016
- American Wine Society: led seminar and conducted tasting, Practical Matters of Interest to Wine Collectors: Storing, Buying, Selling, Insuring and Valuing
- Society of Wine Educators: led seminar and conducted tasting: Late Harvest Wines of Alsace
American Society of Appraisers International Conferences lectures and conducted tastings: Life After Cabernet and Chardonnay, and How To Be A Wine Expert
- Conducted tastings for three ASA Connecticut Chapter meetings, one ASA New Jersey Chapter and the ASA Boston Chapter
- Conducted seminar and tasting for the Eisner-Amper accounting firm, and two seminars and tastings for local law firms
- Interviewed on CNBC which resulted in 200 telephone requests for a list of recommended â€œvalueâ€ wines
- CBS Morning Show on camera interview focusing on counterfeit wine, October 2013
- Interview focusing on seven deadly wine disasters including heat/cold exposure American Express Co. publication Black Ink Fall/Winter 2013
- Proposed and attended a tasting of twelve presumed counterfeit wines with Robert Parker, Jr., the worldâ€™s best known wine critic, and four other wine industry professionals. Mr. Parker agreed that all were counterfeit. June 2011
- Heavy focus on forensic examinations of counterfeit wines with a dozen clients and hundreds of bottles deemed counterfeit
- Spoke to the New York City Wine Media Guild: The Case of Fake Wines, November 2013
- Interviewed on BBC Radio Live discussing fraud and heat affected wines, August 2014
- Decanter Magazine, interviewed by Howard Goldberg in Action News on Fraud, September 2012
- Managed the first ten wine auctions including catalog preparation for Morrell & Co., New York 1994-1995
- Discussed counterfeit wine identification on the PBS Nightly Business Report, December, 2017.
Partial Recent Client List
Hundreds of Individual Clients
Certification and Education
- Certified Sommelier, Court of Master Sommeliers, March 2014
- Society of Wine Educators, CSW – Certified Specialist of Wine, August 2011
- Wine & Spirits Education Trust, WSET Advanced Certificate (with Distinction), November 2011
- Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) compliant through January 20, 2019
- Certified in the Art of Sabrage (sabering open Champagne), July 2011
- Tuscan Wine Masters Academy, April 2012
- Napa Valley Rocks (soil character focus), March 2011
- Wines of Portugal Academia do Vinho Level 3 Advanced, October 2014
- Society of Wine Educators, 2010 – Present
- Wine Spectatorâ€™s Wine Experience, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014
- Windows on the World Wine School (with Kevin Zraly), 2003
- Dartmouth College – B. A. 1993
Articles and Publications
- Freelance Wine and Spirits Writer for Connecticut syndicated newspapers 1997-2001 including articles on Affordable Holiday Wines, Microbrew Beers, Loire Valley Wines, Connecticut Wine Trail Wineries and more.
- Since 2009, writes www.wineminx.blogspot.com with over 50 articles including: NYC wine bars, Wines of Turkey, Arizona Wine, Franciacorta Sparkling Wines, Napa Valley Chardonnays, and many more.
- Featured and quoted in â€œA Sparkling Conversationâ€ article for Bespoke Concierge Magazine Winter 2014/2015 regarding differences between Champagne and Prosecco.
Wine Industry Experience
- Appraiser â€“ Edgerton Wine Appraisals, 1995 – Present
Creates wine cellar inventories and determines fair market/auction values; to date for over 300 clientsâ€™ cellars.
Gathered and examined information relevant to wine fraud and storage-related damage.
- Host of Informative Wine Tastings, 2002 – Present
Organizes and hosts wine tastings/classes for small and large groups in order to raise participantsâ€™ awareness and experience of wine. Topics include: Bubbly, Affordable French Reds, and Wine 101: Introduction and Overview.
Curates and hosts wine dinners, working with chefs on multi-course paired dinners; recently at The Lion, NYC.
- Sales Associate â€“ Tribeca Wine Merchants, NY, 2005 – 2006
Worked part-time assisting clients with high-end wine purchases, as well as advising walk-in clients and organizing nightly in-store wine tastings.
- Wine Appraiser â€“ Phillips Auctions & Appraisals, NY, 1998
Valued wines for prospective auction clients. (Note: Phillips is no longer involved with wine auctions in New York.)
- Auction Assistant â€“ Morrell & Company Fine Wine Auctions, NY, 1994 â€“ 1996 (occasional)
Handled absentee bids for one auction, acted as liaison for telephone bidders for two auctions.