Certification and Education
- American Society of Appraisers Certified as an Accredited Senior Appraiser continuously since May 1970
Re-certified in Personal Property/Wines, Fine and Rare, January 2002. Re-accredited every five years
- Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) compliant through February 2023
- Attendance at dozens of seminars over the years devoted to appraisal in general, wine subjects at the Society of Wine Educators conferences, Wine Spectator Grand Tastings, industry-sponsored events and others
- Dartmouth College B. A.
- Instant access to over 2,000,000 wine auction selling prices
- 520-volume personal wine reference library
- Files of most English language wine periodicals
- Subscriptions to all major wine auction catalogs worldwide
Articles and Publications
- Editor-Publisher Wine Price File in 18 editions from 1998-2004; contained hundreds of thousands of retail and auction prices for wine
- Co-editor International Wine Guide published in 1991 by Sony Electronic Publishing Company
- Editor-Publisher Wine Investors Monthly Market Report 1993-1999; wine auction prices on computer disk
- Editor-Publisher www.wineauctionprices.com 2005 to present; contains 600,000 wine auction prices
- Authored article entitled Taking On the Fakes: Advice From The Anti-fraud Frontline in World of Fine Wine, Britain’s finest wine periodical, Issue 37, 2012
- Featured and quoted in articles in New York Times and Wall Street Journal
- Wine columnist weekly for The Advocate newspaper, Stamford, CT for 2 years, 1980s
- Author of four non-fiction books and one wine-related work of fiction entitled Wine Killer
Speeches, Seminars, Events
- American Wine Society: led seminar and conducted tasting, Practical Matters of Interest to Wine Collectors: Storing, Buying, Selling, Insuring and Valuing
- Society of Wine Educators: led seminar and conducted tasting: Late Harvest Wines of Alsace
- Society of Wine Educators: led seminar with partner and daughter Annie Edgerton Heat, Floods, Fakes… And Skunks: the Art of the Wine Appraisal (and Beyond)
- American Society of Appraisers International Conferences lectures and conducted tastings: Life After Cabernet and Chardonnay, and How To Be A Wine Expert
- Conducted tastings for three ASA Connecticut Chapter meetings, one ASA New Jersey Chapter and the ASA Boston Chapter
- Conducted seminar and tasting for the Eisner-Amper accounting firm, and two seminars and tastings for local law firms
- Interviewed on CNBC which resulted in 200 telephone requests for a list of recommended value wines
- CBS Morning Show on camera interview focusing on counterfeit wine, October 2013
- Interview focusing on seven deadly wine disasters including heat/cold exposure American Express Co. publication Black Ink Fall/Winter 2013
- Proposed and attended a tasting of twelve presumed counterfeit wines with Robert Parker, Jr., the worldâ€™s best known wine critic, and four other wine industry professionals. Mr. Parker agreed that all were counterfeit. June 2011
- Heavy focus on forensic examinations of counterfeit wines with a dozen clients and hundreds of bottles deemed counterfeit
- Spoke to the New York City Wine Media Guild: The Case of Fake Wines, November 2013
- Interviewed on BBC Radio Live discussing fraud and heat affected wines, August 2014
- Decanter Magazine, interviewed by Howard Goldberg in Action News on Fraud, September 2012
- Managed the first ten wine auctions including catalog preparation for Morrell & Co., New York 1994-1995
Partial Recent Client List
Hundreds of Individual Clients
Irell & Manella
U.S. Secret Service
Deposed 4 times, testified 3 times
Certification and Education
- Master of Wine candidate, Institute of Masters of Wine
- Accredited Member, Appraisers’ Association of America
- Level 4 Diploma in Wines & Spirits, Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) 2019
- Certified Sommelier, Court of Master Sommeliers, March 2014
- Certified Specialist of Spirits (CSS) Society of Wine Educators 2019
- Certified Specialist of Wine (CSW) Society of Wine Educators 2011
- WSET Advanced Certificate (with Distinction) 2011
- Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) compliant through January 2023
- Certified in the Art of Sabrage (sabering open Champagne), July 2011
- Tuscan Wine Masters Academy, April 2012
- Napa Valley Rocks (soil character focus), March 2011
- Wines of Portugal Academia do Vinho Level 3 Advanced, October 2014
- Society of Wine Educators, 2010 – Present
- Wine Spectator’s Wine Experience, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2019, 2020
- Windows on the World Wine School (with Kevin Zraly), 2003
- Dartmouth College – B. A. 1993
Articles and Publications
- Freelance Wine and Spirits Writer for Connecticut syndicated newspapers 1997-2001 including articles on Affordable Holiday Wines, Microbrew Beers, Loire Valley Wines, Connecticut Wine Trail Wineries and more.
- Guest blogger for http://www.snooth.com and other websites.
- Since 2009, blogs at https://wineminxannie.com/wine-writing (formerly at www.wineminx.blogspot.com )with over 60 articles including: NYC wine bars, Wines of Turkey, Arizona Wine, Franciacorta Sparkling Wines, Napa Valley Chardonnays, and many more.
- Featured and quoted in “A Sparkling Conversation” article for Bespoke Concierge Magazine Winter 2014/2015 regarding differences between Champagne and Prosecco.
Wine Industry Experience
- Appraiser, Edgerton Wine Appraisals, 1995 – Present
Creates wine cellar inventories and determines fair market/auction values; to date for over 300 clients’ cellars. Gathers and examines information relevant to wine fraud and storage-related damage. Writes full Insurance, Estate, and Donation reports adhering to standards set by USPAP and AAA. Assists clients with purchase and sales for personal collections.
- Host of Informative Wine Tastings, 2002 – Present
Organizes and hosts wine tastings/classes for small and large groups in order to raise participants’ awareness and experience of wine. Topics include: Bubbly, Affordable French Reds, and Wine 101: Introduction and Overview.
Curates and hosts wine dinners, working with chefs on multi-course paired dinners; recently at The Lion, NYC, and for private clients.
- Television and Online Media Host, 2016 – Present
Creator and host of “Broadway Buzzed” on YouTube, a series of wine and spirits educational videos with stars of Broadway and Off-Broadway. Co-creator and Host of “Wine Minx: UNCORKED,” a wine, food, and travel television show currently in pre-production. Creator and Host of “Drinks with the Minx,” a series of livestreams, webinars, and short videos featuring diverse guests.
- Social Media Maven and Sales Associate, Flatiron Wines & Sprits, NY, 2021-Present
Creates content for and manages social media accounts, focusing on education and exploration. Also assists customers with purchases and orders.
- Sales Associate, Tribeca Wine Merchants, NY, 2005 – 2006
Worked part-time assisting clients with high-end wine purchases, as well as advising walk-in clients and organizing nightly in-store wine tastings.
- Wine Appraiser, Phillips Auctions & Appraisals, NY, 1997
Valued wines for prospective auction clients. (Note: Phillips is no longer involved with wine auctions in New York.)
- Auction Assistant, Morrell & Company Fine Wine Auctions, NY, 1994 – 1996 (occasional)
Handled absentee bids for one auction, acted as liaison for telephone bidders for two auctions.
Speeches, Seminars, Events
- Wine Styles: Past, Present, and Future
An in-depth exploration of wine styles both historic and modern; the origins and accidents that formed them; and what’s to come with advances in technology and issues like climate change, Society of Wine Educators conference 2022
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work: Red Blends Come to Play
An overview of modern red wine blends and classics from Bordeaux, Amarone, Portugal, and more, including a “do-it-yourself” blending trial, Society of Wine Educators virtual conference 2021
- What’s New In New Zealand: Kiwi Juice Heads into the Future
A look at less-common grape varieties, wine styles, and innovative techniques from some of NZ’s most exciting winemakers, Society of Wine Educators conference 2021
- All You REALLY Need to Know About Wine
An overview on growing, making, storing, serving, and enjoying wine, American Society of Appraisers online webinar 2021
- Sherry’s “Best of Both Worlds” – on Amontillado and Palo Cortado
A discussion of the two styles of Sherry aged both biologically (under flor) and oxidatively, Institute of Masters of Wine Student Presentation 2021
- Not Yo Momma’s White ZIn & Passing Provence: the BEST and the REST of Rosé
On unusual rosés from around the world, Society of Wine Educators virtual conference 2020
- Heat, Floods, Fakes… and Skunks: the Art of the Wine Appraisal (and Beyond)
With business partner and father William H. Edgerton, Society of Wine Educators 2019
- Outlier States: Wine Gems from the REST of the Country
Featuring quality wines from Maine, Indiana, Arizona, New Jersey, and Missouri, Society of Wine Educators 2018
- Let’s Talk Turkey
A showcase of thirteen different Turkish wines with a spotlight on amazing indigenous varieties, Society of Wine Educators 2015